Posted: September 18th, 2022
Discussion question 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Exporting vs. Importing Decision [WLO: 2] [CLOs: 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 8 in your textbook and review the Big Mac Index in Table 8.5. For this discussion, take the position of an American exporter doing business in the area of your residence and follow these steps:
· Find the price of a Big Mac at your local McDonald’s in the United States.
· Based on the list of countries in the “Big Mac Index” Table 8.5 of the textbook and using the first letter of your last name, identify a country that starts with that letter on the list. If the country is not listed with that letter, use the second or the third letter in your last name.
· In 200 to 250 words, discuss whether you should be exporting Big Macs or importing the burgers from that country. In addition to the price of a Big Mac expressed in U.S. Dollars in your chosen country, consider other issues that may impact your export or import decision. Provide at least two reasons for your decision. Be sure to respond to at least two of your fellow students’ posts.
MGT 370 Discussion question (2)
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 8 in your textbook, focusing particularly on theories of exchange rate determination in section 8.3. Select one theory and explain it in your own words, illustrating with an example. Your answer should be at least 200 words. Be sure to respond to two of your fellow students’ posts.
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ postings. Respond to two of your classmates’ posts with comparison of the theory they described and the one that you selected for your initial answer. What is the main difference between the two? Please provide a substantive response supported by the theories learned this week and based on scholarly and other credible sources. The
Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)
table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types.
Week 4 307
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 10: Sales and Operations Planning (Aggregate Planning), and Chapter 12: Managing Production Across the Supply Chain.
From the end of Chapter 10, answer Discussion Question 3: In general, under what conditions might a firm favor a level production plan over a chase plan? A chase production plan over a level plan?
JIT/EOQ/ROP Interrelationships [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 11: Managing Inventory Throughout the Supply Chain.
From the end of Chapter 11, answer Discussion Question 6: The just-in-time (JIT) movement has long argued that firms should
· Maximize their process flexibility so that ordering costs are minimal.
· Stabilize demand levels.
· Shrink lead times as much as possible.
· Assign much higher holding costs to inventory than has traditionally been the case.
Using the economic order quantity (EOQ) and reorder point (ROP) formulas, explain how such efforts would be consistent with JIT’s push for lower inventory levels.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.