Posted: February 26th, 2023
Article Critique Assignment
Description: This assignment requires you to critique a piece of published empirical literature in developmental psychology.
Purpose: Since peer-reviewed empirical research is the backbone of developmental psychology, you as a graduate student must become familiar with how to evaluate such research, so that they can consume and disseminate the research appropriately. This assignment will allow you to practice critiquing empirical research.
1. Select an empirical article published in the field of developmental psychology within the last 3 years.
2. Read the article thoroughly, paying close attention to research questions and/or hypotheses, the method, results, and interpretations of the author.
3. Write the critique (see format below).
4. The instructor will not proofread papers, but it is acceptable for a friend to proofread for clarity, grammar, and spelling. In addition, the Liberty University Online Writing Center can help with overall writing and flow. You can find the link to the Online Writing Center on the
Article Critique Assignment page under
Article Critique Resource.
1. Include a title page, abstract, references page, and 4 pages of critique.
2. Begin with a short introductory paragraph that summarizes the purpose of the research, including the research questions/hypotheses. In 2 – 3 sentences, explain the overall method, results, and conclusions.
3. Next, provide your critique of the article, noting strengths and weaknesses in the following areas:
a. Research questions/hypotheses
b. Research methodology including design, measures (think about different types of validity, reliability), participants (think about generalizability), procedures, ethics, etc.
c. Results including analyses, clarity of findings, tables/graphs/figures.
d. Discussion including whether the results validate the author’s conclusions/interpretations/recommendations, the major limitations, and what other alternative explanations for the findings might exist.
4. End with a conclusion that includes your judgment on the adequacy of the research, given the preceding critique.
5. Avoid first and second person pronouns, and be sure to use past tense when describing completed research.
6. Current APA standards must be followed.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.