Posted: February 26th, 2023
For this assignment, you will be briefly conducting some research about only one mineral.
Choose one mineral from the list below based on the following criteria:
Either choose a mineral from the list that begins with the same letter as your first or last name
choose a mineral from the list that begins with the same letter as your birth month.
This is the mineral you will be conducting your research about.
- Aluminum (element in bauxite)
- Antimony (found in stibnite and as traces in other metals)
- Iron ore
Write a minimum of two pages with the following format:
- Size 12 font
- Times New Roman font
- Double-spaced paragraphs
- 1-inch margins (default margins)
Answer the following questions:
- Describe the common properties of the mineral (streak, color luster, specific gravity, cleavage/fracture, etc).
- Describe the chemical formula of the mineral.
- Where are major deposits located, and how is it mined?
- What is the mineral used for, and what are the properties that suit the mineral for these uses?
- Describe other important information about the mineral. For example, is it rare or common? Is the mineral associated with any issues, such as pollution through mining, etc.? Is the mineral more commonly used now than in the past? Is there something special about your mineral that makes it unique, such as special properties?
- Include at least one image of your mineral.
Be sure to include a list of at least three resources where you found your information. Resources should be listed in APA format.
Note: Make sure to discuss practical uses. Oftentimes, searching online for mineral uses results in uses based on beliefs – such as special healing powers, etc. Try to avoid these resources, and use academic resources to answer the questions.